Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Driving throuugh clouds & touching a glacier

First, I want to clear up a couple of things. I didn't take the pictures - but thanks for the compliments. These are all taken by others on the trip, mostly my sister. The other thing I want to fix on the blog - I've been calling my sister "Aunt," although I'm more properly the aunt on the trip; I just didn't know what to call her. I'm going to call her DS from now on - the web shorthand for "Dear Sister."

We drove from Driggs back through the parks, stopping to let our brakes cool after the trip over the Teton Pass. In Grand Teton we went to the most amazing visitors' center ever, at Moose Junction. There are moving videos on the floor! The kids loved touching the animal furs, and proclaimed the lynx the softest, and the bison softer than they expected. In Yellowstone we visited the Mud Volcano, which we'd skipped the prior day. It got late really fast - how does that happen? - and we thought we'd be driving in the dark.

Add caption
Instead, again the serendipity of this trip, we hit the Lamar Valley just before sunset, and saw antelope, bison, cliff swallows flying into their mud daub nests, and lots of horse riders returning from day trips. It was beautiful. Then the amazing drive over the Beartooth Highway, through the clouds and side-by-side with glaciers! It was probably the most beautiful drive yet, and the best time of day to take it! We all (except Grammy) got out to touch a glacier. We pictured Maria running through the alpine meadows, singing. The prior time Grammy and I drove it, it was foggy and snowy, and a winter fairyland. This time it was completely different, but no less magical! Read about it here.




Then in to our hotel in Red Lodge, some time in the pool and hot tub, and a great night's sleep. Today: Mount Rushmore!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post with excellent pictures. The pictures alone would make me want to go there, because they show how much character the place has!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! great adventure journey I must say..I always want to travel in such a climate crossing the clouds and experience the glaciers..But unlucky to grab this opportunity..Just wondering to know in which month should I visit there to experience the same? Any idea..

    ReplyDelete